What type of driver's license do I need to rent a car in Canada?

Many visitors who rent a car in Canada ask whether they need to have a special license in order to drive here. 

The answer is simple: no, you do not.

You just need to have a driver's license that is currently valid in your home country and meets both of the following conditions:

1 - Your license must use the Latin alphabet.

2 - Principal and extra drivers must have had their driver's license for at least 12 months

For European residents, a Class B license is required.

If you do decide to use an international license, don't forget that you must also have the original license from your country in your possession AT ALL TIMES. Your international license will not be accepted without your original license, and you will not be able to pick up your car.


Important Notes

When picking up your car, you must present a driver's license and a credit card in the same name (that of the principal driver).

In general, rental agencies will pre-authorize an amount on your credit card corresponding to the deductible payable in the event of an accident.